Case Studies / OFFRADIO
Offradio is about choices.
So is Drupal.
Awarded as the best web-based radio station in Greece, Offradio.gr is where music listeners from 90 countries meet eclectic webcasters and DJs.
Every single update is automatically transferred to the user’s player window in sound or text format. So the listeners get to play music with no static on their minds.
Turn the radio off. Turn on the music already!
Offradio.gr is radio in a post-fm/am era, a website about a world of music changing in real time. It started webcasting in 2008 and presently it has listeners from 90 countries. In 2011 Offradio was honored with an e-award for best internet radio station in Greece. How come? Let’s see, or rather…
Listen to Offradio
“OFF” as in “Off Broadway”, as in experimental radio webcasting alternative music experience. Offradio works like an internet lightning conductor attracting all positive music energy and listeners from all over the globe.
Once you compare radio static sound to digital fidelity, you come to appreciate net radio. Yet what is it that makes Offradio so special among hundreds or even thousands of internet radio stations on your smartphone (iPhone or Android) through 3G, 4G, WiFi, WMP, WINAMP or iTunes? In other words…
Why OFF On?
You tell us:
- Because Offradio.gr is an independent web radio station, so its music choices are exclusively based on the interaction between its webcasters and listeners.
- Soooo many choices when you tune in. You can:
- Check out the track, webcaster and show
- Log in and whisper stuff during the song or the show, and get to see your comment with your username in the open window right there and then, or…
- Email the webcasters.
- Post your comment on facebook or twitter…
- Automatically connect to Last FM radio station.
- If you happened to be in the bathroom… shaving when this awesome track played 10 minutes ago, you can always check out the playlist and listen to it or download it.
- Take a look at today’s program.
- Travel back and listen to or download one of the special Offradio shows of a previous day.
- For your Offradio blog choices
- Its cool HTML5 video headers (especially the antenna-drinking straw or the serving style of whatever it is you’re drinking) or, cutting to the chase…
- Offradio design (and all the night lurking in it anytime of the day)
- All your music or streetlife options on Offradio blog…
Offradio administrators, you poor things! How can you ever manage all that streaming?
Good question, indeed. How can Offradio people be full-time radio producers and administrators of such an interactive website at the same time? We wouldn’t go so far as to call them ‘poor things’, though. Smart, yes. We’re talking about people who were born to broadcast eclectic music here. What they did was assign all the online radio automation to Netstudio so they could focus on what they do best: webcasting.
Music produced in Netstudio on Drupal, or: How our 'DJ' developed such a hot mashup online radio.
Streaming (feeding new content) is automated, playing in Drupal 7. The name of each track is scrobbled through a streaming setup tool (jazzler) to Netstudio.co.uk, which imports all the data: Which artist, which track, slides, playlist, the works. And all a user has to do is click the ‘Listen Live’ button and have all the music and the info about it. Cool, huh?
The weekly schedule update is also automated. Without any html, an Offradio administrator can easily change the e-radio program, and say, for instance, that this producer is webcasting that show at that time.
Developing Offradio on Drupal CMS platform guaranteed 100% WYSIWYG for its eclectic design.